Tuesday, July 27, 2010

My Germany Trip Continued

Germany Day 6 – Sandpaper, beer, and skater boy jeans.

The wash cloth situation has reached the crisis stage. The dish rag I purchased has caused the problem. It did not work. I came to realize that dish rags, especially those made in Belarus and purchased in Germany, are intended to clean dishes. They are not intended to wash sensitive areas of one’s body. Remember my reference to the 3 month old in my day 3 blog. I am getting close but not quite there.

The dish rag only compounded a festering problem. Everything in my hotel room has the surface consistency of sandpaper. It is the really gritty kind with the extra big granules of sand. It is the kind that can scratch the surface of glass, that kind of sandpaper. When I say everything has this surface, I mean critical things like toilet paper, the 20 stitch count sheets, the towels, and even the toilet seat. I will not elaborate further.

Everybody in Germany drinks beer. They drink it in the morning, at lunch, and certainly in the evening. It is legal to drink it in public. In public means everywhere. I have seen people drinking in the parks, in their cars, for breakfast, on the streets, and even riding the subway. Old people are drinking it. Young people are drinking it. Really young people like early teens are drinking it. The bottles of beer are also big. Like the size of an aquarium. In Germany, people figure if you can drink beer anywhere you might as well drink a lot. For that, I like Germany.

I have not quite figured out the dress code. These Germans have a fixation with their style of clothing. It all centers on the “skater boy” jean. Boys riding skateboards are not the only ones that wear the jeans. Girls and women wear them also. They all wear the low-waisted straight legged skinny jeans. They wear them to work, to school, to shop, and to sleep in. They never take them off. What concerns me the most is that the men wear them as well. Ordinary men wear them to work. Fat ordinary men wear them to work. Old fat ordinary men wear them.

For most, it is not a flattering look. I also know these jeans are not comfortable. This will be especially true if the Germans have not found a solution to the sandpaper problem. While I can, I am off to drink beer in public.



Germany Day 7 – Objects, the Reeperbahn, and the Sexy Angel


Today was my last full day in Germany. The morning began with a trip to the “Penny Market”. I was in search of talcum powder. It is otherwise known as baby powder. Talcum powder has been used for centuries to soothe skin. When applied It is cool and comfortable. People in Germany know this also. The shelves were fully stocked in a variety of sizes and colors. It does wonders for irritated skin in sensitive areas. I know.


Once that need was satisfied I enjoyed the Hotel breakfast. The Hotel served the same breakfast every day. Scrambled eggs, rolls, sausage, ham, and some dry granola cereals. I was most intrigued by the sausage. I had always heard that Germany was famous for the sausages. Germany is famous for meatballs with one important exception. They all taste the same. Just like the sausage at breakfast. I also sausage lunch two days and as a side one evening for dinner. I knew that taste well. It reminded me of Sweden. I have never been to Sweden but have eaten Swedish meat balls. The kind you eat at a wedding with a toothpick from a crock pot. The German sausages I had were made from this same mystery meat. I am certain of it. One additional note, nowhere did I see hamburgers for sale. Hamburg as in Hamburgers? You can get a Philly Cheese steak in Philly can’t you?

The downtown area of Hamburg was beautiful. I took dozens of pictures but won’t bore you with the photos. Below are a few of the notable ones. I am not even sure what these objects are but they struck me as odd enough to photograph them.




Another interesting photo




On my last evening we visited the Reeperbahn section of Hamburg. It is sort of the arts and bar district. It is filled with bars and restaurants and other establishments. It claims to be where the Beatles were discovered playing in a night club. The Beatles actually started in England and were a complete flop. They traveled to the Reeperbahn to play more. They were rediscovered and the rest is history.

The Reeperbahn is also filled with other establishments. I would describe it as the Bourbon Street of Hamburg but without the smell. Most everything is legal here including the oldest profession in the world, prostitution. We happened upon a side street completely lined with prostitutes. There they were in all sizes and colors. There were more than a hundred of them. They were lined up right next to the police station. Waiting to sell their goods.

After some local research I was able to piece together the story. The Hamburg city government knows that prostitution will exist whether it is legal or illegal. The police can’t stop it. Therefore, it is legal. The girls must undergo a health screening, obtain a license, and return for periodic medical checks. In their eyes the process works. Everybody makes money and the male populous remains satisfied.

Below is a picture of two of them. The girl on the left in the pink boots screamed at me when I took the picture. I found out that they do not like it if you take their pictures even if they are “Sexy Angels”. What a bunch of whores. I mean really.

All in all it was a very big day. Tomorrow I will head for home.






No comments:

Post a Comment